The following information reflects the most recent version of our Service Contracts. Coverage under your specific contract may vary. See your Service Contract for specific coverage details.
For additional information on applying for a CARS Protection Plus service contract speak to your dealer or call 888-335-6838. See your local dealer for details, pricing and availability.
Lubricated parts contained within the engine block; cylinder heads; intake manifold; pistons; piston rings; wrist pins; connecting rods and bearings; crank-shaft and bearings; camshaft and bearings; timing chain, guides, tensioner and gears; valve covers; rocker arms/shafts and bushings; intake/exhaust valves and valve springs, seats, guides, push rods and hydraulic lifters; oil pump; and oil pan. Engine block only if damaged by a covered component internal to the engine block. NOT COVERED: timing belt, fuel injectors, turbo chargers, supercharger, EGR cooler and oil cooler.
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION/TRANSFER CASE
Lubricated parts contained within the transmission or transfer case housing; torque converter; bands; pump; pump housing; carrier assembly; planetary gears; chain; drum; reaction shaft; governor; valve body; and servo assemblies. Transmission/transfer case only if damaged by a covered component internal to the transmission/transfer case housing.
MANUAL TRANSMISSION/TRANSFER CASE
Lubricated parts contained within the transmission or transfer case housing; main shaft; counter shaft; all gears; chain; input shaft; hub assemblies; synchronizers; shift rails; shift fork; and internal transmission bearings. Transmission/transfer case only if damaged by a covered component internal to the transmission/transfer case housing. NOT COVERED: manual clutch and related components.
Ball joints; leaf, air and coil springs only if broken.
DRIVE AXLE ASSEMBLY
Lubricated parts contained within the front and rear drive axle housing; pinion bearings; wheel bearings; side carrier bearings; ring and pinion; side gears; spider gears and case; drive shaft; universal joints; constant velocity joints; and 4x4 hubs. Front or rear drive axle housing only if damaged by a lubricated part contained within the drive axle housing.
SEALS & GASKETS
Seals and gaskets are covered only when required in conjunction with the replacement of a covered component. Additionally, cylinder head gaskets are covered for combustion and coolant leaks. Intake manifold gaskets are covered for coolant leaks only. NOT COVERED: oil and vacuum leaks.
Power steering gear box; rack and pinion; and high pressure lines. Steering box and rack housing only if damaged by a lubricated part internal to that component.
Master cylinder; wheel cylinders; calipers; ABS hydraulic components; ABS speed sensors; and ABS control module. NOT COVERED: drums, rotors, pads, linings, hoses, lines, and wiring.
ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM
Electric cooling fan motor; water pump; fan clutch; and thermostat.
Compressor; clutch; condenser; accumulator; and evaporator. NOT COVERED: labor to recharge, evacuate and flush the system.
Starter motor; alternator; voltage regulator; and front and rear window wiper motor.
The authorized time for a repair will be based on the ProDemand labor guide. The hourly labor rate will be the repair facility’s rate up to $60.00 per hour. Should Your repair facility’s rate exceed this amount, You are responsible for the difference. NOT COVERED: tear-down and diagnosis.
The Service Contract Holder will be reimbursed $25.00 for each eight hours of ProDemand labor guide time to repair or replace the covered component with a maximum benefit of $300.00 per claim, if proof of rental is provided with an authorized claim. Down time, regardless of reason, is not included.
We will reimburse up to a maximum of $50.00, if proof of towing is provided with an authorized claim.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. COMPONENTS AND EXPENSES NOT COVERED:
- Components not listed regardless of failure. Coverage limited to this specific version of the contract, regardless of other revisions.
- Component failures occurring before the date CARS receives and approves this Service Contract application are not covered.
- Any repair done without prior authorization from CARS.
- CARS does not provide any coverage for vehicles modified or altered AT ANY TIME beyond original manufacturer’s specifications with or without Your knowledge, including but not limited to the following modifications: WHEELS/TIRES (not to manufacturer’s specifications); lift/lowering kits; emission/exhaust; and engine.
- Diagnostic and tear-down charges.
- Damage/failure to a covered component caused by a NON-covered component.
- Repairs performed due to improper diagnosis.
- Fluids, Freon and filters.
- Damage resulting from any previous improper repair.
- Parts and labor needed to maintain Your vehicle (oil, filters, etc.).
- Parts of the vehicle subject to regular maintenance (belts, hoses, etc.).
- Damage from flood, fire, impact, and/or accident, regardless of the cause.
- Damage from conditions of the environment, including rust and corrosion.
- Damage from altering, misusing or tampering with the vehicle, making improper adjustments or using improper fuels or fluids.
- Damage resulting from failure to maintain Your vehicle according to Your manufacturer’s maintenance requirements.
- Damage/failure caused by carbon, sludge, or water ingestion.
- Fluid leaks and damage caused by fluid leaks.
- Taxes and NON-covered repair facility charges.
- CARS does not provide any coverage if, at any time, the vehicle has/had an inoperative cluster, odometer, and/or odometer display, regardless if repaired.
2. PROVISIONS OF THE SERVICE CONTRACT:
- The Service Contract is between You and CARS and is administered by C.A.R.S. Protection Plus, Inc., 4431 William Penn Highway, Suite 1, Murrysville, PA 15668, toll-free 888-335-6838, carsprotectionplus.com.
- You are responsible to contact CARS should You not receive a CARS I.D. card via mail within 15 days from applying for a Service Contract. An issued I.D. card will become part of Your Service Contract and is incorporated by reference.
- This Service Contract application does NOT go into effect until: (1) this completed application is received by CARS, (2) with proper payment, and (3) approved by CARS, which MAY BE DIFFERENT than Your date of vehicle purchase. A NEW contract will begin monthly, starting one month from the Effective Date on Your CARS I.D. card, and will continue, as long as payment is received, until Your vehicle reaches 200,000 miles, so long as You own the vehicle.
- Total cumulative benefits under the Service Contract will not exceed the NADA Clean Loan value as of the Effective Date, or the vehicle purchase price, whichever is less.
- CARS reserves the right to reject any Service Contract application.
- Your odometer MUST display and function at all times, regardless of Your mileage limitations. If there has been an inaccuracy, tampering, or alteration to the odometer mileage so that the true and actual mileage is not shown or cannot be determined, then Your Service Contract is void. An inoperative cluster, odometer, and/or odometer display also voids the Service Contract. Upon discovery by CARS, CARS will cancel Your Service Contract and issue a monthly prorated refund of the amount received by CARS, less claims paid.
- If, at any time, it is determined Your vehicle is altered or modified from original manufacturer’s specifications, CARS would consider this a material misrepresentation. Upon discovery by CARS, CARS will cancel Your Service Contract and issue a monthly prorated refund of the amount received by CARS, less claims paid.
- You are responsible for properly maintaining the vehicle in accordance with manufacturer’s specifications and to protect against further damage caused by continued operation or damage from overheating.
- Coverage is limited to the repair or replacement of any covered component found to be defective beyond manufacturer’s specifications, including failures resulting from normal wear and tear.
- While the Service Contract is in effect, the claim must be opened during CARS’ normal business hours M-F, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., EST.
- CARS will arrange for payment of the amount of the authorized repair, less related charges not covered by the Service Contract, less a $100.00 deductible per claim.
- You must provide the last eight digits of Your VIN # when contacting CARS.
- CARS will not be responsible for any time lost, any inconvenience caused by the loss of use of Your vehicle, the quality of the repair by the repair facility or for any other incidental or consequential damages You may have.
- CARS does not allow any third party to create any obligation or liability in connection with the Service Contract.
- The selling dealer is not an agent of CARS. The selling dealer assumes no responsibility for the Service Contract other than submitting the Independence Payment Authorization Form with proper payment to CARS.
- You may have additional state-specific rights. See attached State Disclosures.
- This Service Contract shall be interpreted and subject to the laws of the state where the sale of the vehicle took place regardless of where a claim or mechanical failure occurs or where You reside.
- Venue for all disputes shall be in the state in which the Service Contract was sold.
- CARS’ obligations under this Service Contract are insured by Dealers Assurance Company, 240 N. 5th Street, Suite 350, Columbus, OH 43215, 800-282-8913. You are entitled to make a direct claim against the Insurer upon the failure of the Administrator/Obligor to pay any covered claim within 60 days after a complete proof of loss has been filed with CARS.
- You must retain all vehicle maintenance/repair records for review by CARS.
- Coverage is superseded by any manufacturer’s warranty, TSB/factory bulletin, recall or warranty on a previous repair.
- Purchase of this Service Contract is not required in order to purchase or obtain financing for a motor vehicle.
3. SERVICE CONTRACT CLAIM PROCEDURES - FAILURE, BY YOU OR YOUR REPAIR FACILITY, TO FOLLOW THESE CLAIM PROCEDURES MAY DELAY AND/OR RESULT IN CLAIM DENIAL. TO AVOID DELAY, FOLLOW THESE CLAIM PROCEDURES AS FOLLOWS:
- Your vehicle must be at a repair facility, of Your choosing, within the continental United States, CAPABLE TO: (1) perform tear-down to the point of failure, (2) determine the cause and extent of damage, and (3) rebuild the component. The vehicle MUST REMAIN at the repair facility until repairs are complete. If Your repair facility is unwilling or unable to work with CARS, You may be required to choose another repair facility.
- The repair facility must call CARS at 888-335-6838 to open a claim BEFORE any repairs have begun.
- A proper diagnosis shall include tear-down to the point of component failure, performed by the repair facility, to determine the cause of failure and extent of damage. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE CHARGES. Your repair facility MUST provide CARS with an estimate for the covered repair to obtain an Authorization number BEFORE any repairs have begun.
- CARS has the right to inspect the vehicle. If Your repair facility is unable/unwilling to show the cause of failure and the extent of damage, You will be responsible for all re-inspection costs.
- CARS has the option to select used, rebuilt or aftermarket components when authorizing repairs.
- If it is determined a covered component has failed and an estimate for the repairs is approved by CARS, an Authorization number will be issued for the repair. The Authorization number is valid for 180 days from the date issued. After 180 days the Authorization number and claim are void. No invoice will be processed without a valid Authorization number, Your signature, repair facility’s warranty on repairs (if applicable) and repair facility’s identifying information.
4. SERVICE CONTRACT TRANSFER PROVISIONS:
- The Service Contract is transferable, by the original purchaser of the contract, to the subsequent owner of the vehicle provided CARS receives the transfer fee of $99.00 within three business days of the vehicle sale. CARS will not transfer the contract to another vehicle or to a business. The transferred Service Contract will remain in effect pursuant to the terms and conditions of the original Service Contract.
- Without payment of the transfer fee, the Service Contract cannot be re-assigned and will be void at the time the vehicle is transferred.
- The new customer is responsible for all maintenance records from the original Effective Date of the Service Contract.
5.CANCELLATION PROVISIONS - ALL REQUESTED CANCELLATIONS/REFUNDS MUST BE IN WRITING AND WILL BE PROCESSED THROUGH YOUR LIENHOLDER, IF ANY, OR YOUR SELLING DEALER. ANY CANCELLED CONTRACT IS VOID AND WILL NOT BE REINSTATED.
- You may cancel this Service Contract for a full refund within the first 20 days from the Effective Date provided no claim has been made.
- Within the first 20 days from the Effective Date, if a claim has been made You may cancel this Service Contract for a monthly prorated refund, less any claims paid or approved for payment, less an administration fee of $50.00.
- After 20 days from the Effective Date, there is no refund except in the case of a total loss, as determined by the insurance carrier, or repossession by the lienholder, and as long as no claim was made. If eligible, CARS will cancel this Service Contract for a monthly prorated refund, less an administration fee of $50.00.
- CARS will cancel Your Service Contract for fraud, material misrepresentation (including alterations/ modifications), a substantial breach (including a malfunctioning odometer), or nonpayment, either by You or on Your behalf. Prior notice of cancellation is not required for these violations. If cancelled by CARS for any other reason, then CARS shall mail a written notice to Your last known address at least five days prior to cancellation. The notice shall state the reason and effective date of the cancellation. If cancelled, CARS shall provide a monthly prorated refund of the amount received by CARS, less any claims paid or approved for payment.
- To review the General Policy of CARS, please visit carsprotectionplus.com/privacy-policy.