Working on a vehicle with a CARS plan? Here is what you need to know:
How a claim works:
- You must call us at 888-335-6838 and ask to open a claim.
- You will need to have the last 8 digits of the VIN which is your customer’s contract ID.
Once you have initiated a claim, you may begin your diagnosis but do not start any repairs before you receive an authorization number from your adjuster.
What will your adjuster do?
- Call you to go over your customer’s plan and our procedures
- Ask you to submit an estimate for all services to be performed
- Provide an authorization number (Do not start your repairs until your adjuster calls you with an authorization number)
- Check availability of the covered components and offer to ship the parts
- Determine the total for the repairs using Mitchell's ProDemand labor guide
- Call you with the amount of assistance the customer's plan provides, if the amount we offer is different than your estimate, it is because of either the parts or amount of labor.
CARS offers several different levels of coverage and, if your customer selected a plan that pays a labor rate less than yours, CARS does not expect you to lose money on the repair. The customer is responsible for any difference in labor rate.
After your Repairs
Once the repairs are complete you will need to submit a final repair invoice. You can fax, email, or mail your invoice. The invoice must contain:
- Your company’s letterhead with your complete address and phone number
- The authorization number provided by your adjuster
- Any warranty you are providing on the repair
- The vehicle’s VIN number
- The vehicle’s mileage after the repair
- The vehicle owner’s name and address
- The vehicle owner’s signature
When the complete repair invoice is received, your adjuster will offer to pay you by credit card the same day. If you prefer a corporate check, let your adjuster know and it will be issued the next business day.
Please note: An authorization number is valid for 180 days
The fax number for claims is 724-387-1297
Our claims department is available 8:30am-5pm EST, Monday-Thursday and 8:30am-4:30pm Friday